3 mistakes to avoid when doing an ECA with WES

3 Mistakes to Avoid When Doing an ECA with WES (US & Canada)

Written with reference to University of Pune (UoP) applicants, however, may be applied to most Indian universities.

NOTE 1: All my mark sheets were issued only by the UoP, therefore, I have written with that perspective. The procedure is a little different for students whose 1st-year mark sheet was issued by the college and the other years' mark sheets issued by the UoP.

NOTE 2: (For UoP students only) When applying for either attestation of statement of marks/mark sheets (Certificate Attestation) or transcripts, submit all forms at the Student Facilitation Centre (SFC) near the UoP gate. You can also pay the fees for both applications at SFC by cash before form submission.

NOTE 3: After COVID, some universities have started with an online application of transcripts and the universities also send the documents directly to WES. Please visit the links below:
NOTE 4: WES rules have changed from August 2021, please see WES - Help Center - India FAQ - Document Requirements for India [last accessed on January 22, 2024] for complete details about the changed rule. Now students can send their sealed, stamped and signed envelopes from anywhere.
______________________

MISTAKE 1: SEALED ENVELOPE CONFUSION
Please read WES FAQ on "How to send your documents to WES in a sealed envelope" for more information. [last accessed August 05, 2021].

Also see the WES YouTube video on "What is a sealed envelope?"[last accessed August 05, 2021].

How does the Pune university sealed envelope look like (in 2019)?
When applying for "Certificate attestation", below is the sealed envelope that SFC will give you and you need to post this envelope to WES from the post office located on the UoP campus. SFC has 2 different size envelopes (small and big), you can choose either size.

Front side:
Front side of attested mark sheets envelope given by SFC
Backside:
Backside of attested mark sheets envelope given by SFC

When applying for "Transcripts", this is the sealed envelope that the "Transcript Section" will give you and you need to post this envelope to WES from the post office located on the UoP campus:

Front side:
Front side of transcripts envelope given by Transcript section
Backside:
Backside of transcripts envelope given by Transcript section
NOTE 5: Please notice above, the "from" address on the sealed university envelope has to be the university address and NOT the student/agent's personal home/office address. Make sure the envelope also has the university seal and university officer's signature as shown in the above images. Please visit WES (USA) Sealed Envelopes link [last accessed February 22, 2021] for more details on sealed envelopes.

What if your university/institution does not have an official envelope?
Disclaimer: I have not tried this, but this is the only logical way I could think of doing it if a university does not have an official envelope.

If your university does not have an official envelope, then you can put your documents in any plain envelope with the "from" address being your university address. Then the backside of the envelope should be sealed, stamped, and signed (the university stamp and the university official officers' signature will appear on the sealed flap on the back of the envelope) by the controller of examination or the registrar's office, which may look like the image below.

Front side:
Front side of transcripts/attested mark sheets envelope
Backside
Backside of transcripts/attested mark sheets envelope
______________________

MISTAKE 2: NOT WRITING THE WES REFERENCE NUMBER ON THE SEALED UNIVERSITY ENVELOPE
Students were taking longer processing time in cases where the WES reference numbers were not mentioned on the envelope. PLEASE MAKE SURE TO WRITE THE WES REFERENCE NUMBER ON THE ENVELOPE FOR QUICKER PROCESSING. However, there is no need to put an 'academic records request form' that is provided by WES in the envelope, as it is optional. Please see the below image of page 2 of the academic request form. (For my documents, I did not put the 'academic records request form' in the envelope; I only mentioned the WES reference number on the envelope. (Please refer to the images above).
Optional WES Academic Request Form, Page 2

However, if your university/institution insists you to submit the 'academic records request form,' please submit it.
______________________

MISTAKE 3: NOT INCLUDING ATKT (Allowed to keep terms)/BACKLOG/FAILED SUBJECT MARKSHEETS IN THE SEALED UNIVERSITY ENVELOPE
Make sure, you get all mark sheets (statement of marks) attested and that includes your ATKT subjects also as this is the actual rule. I have come across some people who were lucky when they did not submit their ATKT mark sheets and had a successful evaluation. There were also some who faced difficulties when they did not submit their ATKT mark sheets. Personally, I made sure I submitted all mark sheets that showed the subjects I repeated also. I chose not to take the risk of further complications if any were to arise. So this is completely at the applicant/student's discretion and risk.
 
NOTE 6: Having your ATKT subjects on the evaluated report does not affect your WES GPA score neither does it have any kind of negative implications. The evaluated GPA stays the same with ATKT or without ATKT. WES just requires the true and complete educational records of the applicant. Please see this WES document on "Explanation of WES Evaluation."


However, this does not mean that you should hide/not include your ATKT subjects; hiding/not including your ATKT subjects would be a false representation of your educational records and you must avoid doing this.
 
NOTE 7: For unknown reasons some students expressed that Pune University Transcript section is NOT printing any ATKT marks on the transcript, which may be considered as an incorrect, incomplete, and false representation of the student's academics. This is another reason why I recommend people to take attested mark sheets (statement of marks) rather than going for transcripts from Pune University. Please click here to read more about my personal experience with Pune university transcripts.
 
Even Mumbai University and Anna University (both being big government universities) insist students to submit all marksheets including ATKT subjects and that is how it should be submitted to WES.
______________________

Please read the WES blog article on "FAQs About the WES Document Verification Process" [last accessed January 22, 2024].

Also read the WES blog article on "6 reasons your credential evaluation might be put on hold" [last accessed January 22, 2024].








Attributes: Mistake photo by Varvara Grabova on Unsplash 

Comments

  1. Sure, I am glad it was useful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have 3 years old transcripts in sealed status from Pune University. Can I post those from University Post Office to WES now? I mean do transcripts have validity?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure if transcripts have a validity or not. However, you can try sending the documents to WES as per the new rules.

      Nonetheless, I have a slight doubt that WES may put your 3-years old transcript on hold and you may have to follow up with Pune university to respond to a verification email that may be sent by WES.

      WES viewpoint probably is that the universities hardly ever will send transcripts to WES after 3 years.

      Delete
  3. Hello. I have received the transcript but it is not sealed and stamped. Is that okay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. it is not OK. Please read mistake no. 2 above properly.

      Delete
  4. Thank you where did you got the big envelope and how much they charge you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can get the envelope from the Student Facilitation Centre (SFC) located at the UoP gate. When you apply for attestation of documents, the application itself will have a field for how many envelopes you need. You don't need to pay anything separately for the envelopes. Please see the application image in my blog article Stepwise Procedure to get Transcripts from Pune University for WES ECA

      Delete
  5. Is it in savitribai phule university campus the post office?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only authorized sources can give you envelopes. If it is a UoP envelope only UoP can give you that envelope. The post office is not an authorized source to distribute UoP addressed envelopes.

      Delete
  6. I have sealed UOP transcripts in small envelope, can I send them directly to WES from UOP post office ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, thanks a lot. Your blog was super helpful in solving my confusion.

      Delete
    2. You are welcome. I am glad it was helpful.

      Delete
  7. Hello, I have sealed enveloped with from address of my university from my university with me. Can I courier it to myself to CES. I am not going with WES. please help me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry I am not aware of the procedure with CES. You may need to check their online information or contact them.

      Delete
  8. Hello I have stamp on my envelope but it was not sealed ,JNTUA university sent me the envelopes with stamps and without sealed that we have to keep our documents in the envelope and have to seal will that be a issue ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you say not sealed, I am going to assume that the envelope is not glued. I am going to assume that the university envelope has half the university stamp on the envelope flap and half the university stamp on envelope base, like in the images above. This is fine. You can glue the envelope and it won't be a problem. However, be sure to stick it properly. However, if the university stamp is completely missing from the envelope (i.e., half on the flap and half on the base is not there), then this could be an issue. I hope that clarifies your doubt. If not, please message me from the "Contact us" section, so that I can email you back.

      Delete
  9. Hey! I want to know if I can get a 'scanned copy' of my original transcript to be sealed by the university and then send it to WES myself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please read the article you are commenting on. Sending just a 'scanned copy' that is neither stamped or signed by of UoP official is a MISTAKE.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. No, I mean what if the uni itself sends a scanned copy of the transcript but sealed by them in an envelope with their official stamp- for the student to courier it to WES?

      Delete
  10. Hey, I have got transcript, it has stamp on it but somehow the glue has lost its stickiness. so , it's half opened, can I apply glue on it by myself?
    Also, can I take an A4 envelope from SFC and put sealed transcript inside it and get it stamped then sealed? (I noticed that envelope from SFC says 'from' address of SFC while small transcript has 'from director' address, is it a concern? will my document get rejected because of this?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Related to the A4 envelope, please see MISTAKE NO. 2. The address on the envelopes even if they differ are not a concern as long as it is given by Pune university. Those addresses are usually related to the departments that are issuing it, so you don't have to worry about that.

      Delete
    2. ohh, Thank you so much!!!

      Delete
  11. Thank you so much for this post and for this helpful blog.
    I have a question, I studied in two different universities for my Bachelor's degree (4 years total), one year I studied it in one university, then I completed the rest (3 years) in other university. However in second university all the courses/credits were equated and it's already on my final transcript.
    So will WES asks for transcripts from both universities or just from the last one (that I graduated from)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure of this process (please see note 1 at the beginning of the article above). To further understand I would suggest you to fill out the contact us form, so that we can connect and discuss this further. I need to understand more about your situation.

      Delete

Post a Comment