Do I need the syllabus copy for my Indian university/college degree?

Better to keep a copy of the syllabus with you now than to apply for it later.

If you are going abroad, it is always better to keep a copy of the syllabus for your degree than to struggle to get it later when you are not in India. You may not need the copy of the syllabus for your degree from your Indian university right away because no one may have asked for it as yet. Or you may have decided that you don't want to study further. However, plans change and it is better to be prepared now while you can. In the future, you may end up hiring an agent or asking a family/relative to run around to get you the syllabus if you end up needing one, especially, if you no longer live in India. So, be prepared for the future, you will definitely save time and money, especially, when it is very difficult to get documents from Indian universities.
 
Books on brown wooden shelf
WHETHER YOU ARE GETTING AN EVALUATION OR NOT FROM WES/ECE, OTHER THIRD PARTY EVALUATORS, OR FROM FOREIGN UNIVERSITIES DIRECTLY, PLEASE KEEP A COPY OF THE SYLLABUS FOR YOUR DEGREE FROM THE INDIAN UNIVERSITY IN YOUR POSSESSION (also scan it and keep a soft copy with you as foreign universities accept soft copies as well). 

Most Indian universities also keep their syllabus online for students to access for a limited period. You can download these and keep them as soft copies before the Indian universities take it off their websites. 

NOTE: Pune University took down my syllabus from their website. So, please download your documents while it is still available online. If not available online you would be required to go to the university in person and apply for the syllabus copy.

Advantages of keeping a syllabus copy handy: My initial mindset was not to study, but after being in the US for a year or so, I decided to pursue a new degree. At this stage I did not have my syllabus in hand and getting my syllabus copies from India while staying in the US was nerve-wrecking. I should have come prepared.

Having a copy of the syllabus from your Indian university will be useful to transfer a few credits/subjects to the US/Canadian university. For example, I did a degree in computer programming. For my degree, there were some general education credit courses (such as English Literature) that I needed to complete, but these courses were completely irrelevant for my 'programming' degree. Without doing the 'English Literature' course I would not have got a degree. Moreover, I have a Masters degree in 'English Literature' from India. In summary, doing 'English Literature' did not make sense at all for my programming degree. 

Without the copy of my Indian masters' syllabus, it would have been very difficult for me to transfer my Indian credits to the US institution. Fortunately, I acquired a copy of my syllabus for my master's degree, I applied for the transfer of Indian credits, submitted my Indian masters' syllabus at the US institution and it was approved. In short, I was not required to do the English Literature course, saved my money on it, and got my programming degree.

 


Attributes: Books on brown wooden shelf photo by Susan Yin on Unsplash

Comments